Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cop suspended for Maoist strike, starts fast unto death

Ranchi, Oct 30 - A Jharkhand policeman has protested his suspension for alleged dereliction of duty after Maoists killed 19 people in Giridih district of Jharkhand, and has gone on a fast unto death.Vidhu Bhushan Dwivedi, a police inspector, said he has been made a scapegoat in the
incident and Sunday sat on a fast in the same field where the massacre occurred.

His wife and his 16-year-old son are also protesting with him.'Why am I being made a scapegoat? I am being targeted at the behest of the Giridih superintendent of police (SP) Arun Kumar Singh,' Dwivedi said Tuesday.'If my suspension is not revoked, I will end my life here,' he threatened.Dwivedi said he has had to face problems in the past as well.'My son underwent a
kidney transplant and I had to fight in the court to get the reimbursement from the government. I have to fight for everything.

'I have to spend Rs.15,000 per month on my son's treatment. How can a suspended person afford such an expensive treatment?' he asked.Dwivedi was suspended along with three other policemen for dereliction of duty.At least 19 people, including son of former Jharkhand chief minister Babulal Marandi, were gunned down early Saturday at a function in Chilkhari village of
Giridih district. When the incident took place, no security personnel was present at the spot. The suspended policemen had reportedly left before the function ended.

Indo-Asian News Service </>

No comments: