Dear Sir ,
INDIA: Please order an investigation into the killing of eleven children and a youth in Nendra village in Chhattisgarh
Name of the victims:
1. Soyam Rama, aged 16 years – father's name Dula
2. Soyam Raju, aged 2 years – father's name Penta
3. Vajam Rama, aged 11 years – father's name Ganga
4. Madakam Ramily, aged 5 years – father's name Ganga
5. Madakam Buddaraiah, aged 14 years – father's name Unga
6. Midiyam Nagaiah, aged 5 years – father's name Bajari
7. Sodi Irma, aged 12 years – father's name Yarma
8. Podium Adama, aged 7 years – father's name Unga
9. Vetti Raju, aged 9 years – father's name Masa
10. Madakam Ithe, aged 13 – father's name Kessa
11. Soyam Raju, aged 12 years – father's name Bheemulu
12. Mr. Soyam Nareya, aged 20 years – father's name Tammaiah
[all are residents of Nendra village, Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh and belongs to the Scheduled Tribe of India]
Alleged perpetrators: Members of the Indian Reserve Battalion [Nagaland] stationed in Chhattisgargh and those attached to the Salwa Judum - Dantewada
Date and place of incident: March 13, 2007 at Nendra village, Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh
I am writing to request you to immediately take actions against those who were responsible for the massacre of eleven children in Nendra village, Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh. I am informed that on March 13, 2007 eleven children and a local youth was gunned down by the members of the Indian Reserve Battalion [Nagaland] stationed in Chhattisgarh and the members of the local faction of the Salwa Judum.
I am concerned that the villagers did not even complain about the incident since they have lost faith in the state administration. I am also concerned about the escalating violence in Chhattisgarh, which is fanning out of control. I have been informed that the state government has nearly failed in addressing the law and order situation in the state and is now increasingly resorting to promoting private armed militia groups in the state.
I therefore urge you to immediately intervene in this case so that a proper complaint is registered regarding the incident and the case is investigated and the perpetrators punished. I also urge you to make sure that the Chhattisgarh state government takes all necessary steps to regain the faith of the local communities in the state.
Towards this end the operation of Salwa Judum in the state must be immediately stopped and the state must declare and practice non-tolerance to violence used by the state as well as by the Naxalites.
The state administration must also ensure that the tribal communities staying in remote villages in the state are not forcefully evacuated and their resources are not allowed to be exploited indiscriminately.
I trust that you will take action in this case.